[Plank Owners]

Plank Owners 2014


A portion of a wall in the Veterans Center has a map of the world on which every student veteran places deployment pins. Pictures of us during our service surround the deployment map.


The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is located in AC 116 and is a relaxing place for student veterans to meet, receive the latest veterans benefit information, coordinate with the Student Veterans Organization (SVO), study, meet with representatives from veteran service providers, or just enjoy the camaraderie of fellow veterans on campus.

[Veterans Flags]


We remember all those who have served to protect our freedoms!!

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them.

— John F. Kennedy

New Student Veterans

For assistance along the way, stop by the Veterans Resource Center in the Academic Center (AC), room 116 or email the veterans counselor at sschultz@portervillecollege.edu .

get admitted

  •   Apply for admissions online at www.portervillecollege.edu. Be sure to mark “veteran” status on the application.
  •   New students must complete the matriculation process of assessment, orientation, and counseling. Transfer students must submit official transcripts from previous colleges attended.
  •   Get a copy of your DD214. You will need to provide this to the campus VA clerk for certification and priority registration purposes.

get classes

  •   Make an appointment to see the veterans counselor to discuss classes and complete a Student Educational Plan (SEP). Make sure you bring your assessment scores (or college transcripts) to the appointment.
  •   After you have seen the counselor, register for classes online through your InsidePC account.
  •   When you have registered, complete and return to the veterans counselor a "Request for Certification – Approved Schedule Plan."

get benefits

  •   Apply online for your GI Bill benefits at www.gibill.va.gov (you can do this prior to your appointment with the counselor).
  •   Once you receive the certification letter from the VA informing you of the benefits you qualify for, provide the VA clerk in the Admissions and Records office with a copy of the letter.

get aid

  •   Visit the Financial Aid office (AC 103) to receive information about additional financial aid.
  •   Complete the free online FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and the BOG fee waiver.

get going

  •   Go to class and visit the VRC frequently during the term to take advantage of all it offers.
  •   Meet with the veterans counselor each semester.
  •   Check your Porterville College email DAILY. The college sends you information to this email only.
  •   Join the Student Veterans Organization.
Steve Schultz' picture
Steve Schultz
Student Veterans Counselor

Office: AC 116
Phone: 559-791-2230
 E-mail: sschultz@portervillecollege.edu



They Defend Our Freedom